Whaioro Trust is a Maori Mental Health service providing opportunities for people with mental health issues.
Whaioro Trust Services are free and include:
- culturally competent staff
- educational information
- advocacy and support
- vocational opportunities
You can access the service by:
- key worker
- whanau member
- making contact with us
Whaioro Trust has a number of different services:
- Mahi Tu Ora is an employment and vocational support service programme aimed at assisting Tangata Whaiora to gain meaningful employment. The Mahi Tu Ora programme consists of four components; Kaupapa Maori focus, vocational/educational focus, health focus and one on one advocacy and support. The Mahi Tu Ora programme operates in the Manawatu and the Horowhenua region.
- Mahi Taiohi - Rangatahi Alcohol & Drugs Counselling Service. This service provides primary support to Rangatahi/young people (aged 10-17) who use and/or abuse alcohol and other drugs. The ultimate goal of this service is to reduce harm to the rangatahi through counselling, which provides information and a supportive environment that encourages the rangatahi to consider their options and make informed choices around their AOD use. Whaioro delivers this service throughout the Horowhenua region, both in the colleges and in the community, through qualified AOD Counsellors.
- Mahi Taiohi – Mahi Tu Kaha Programme: This programme is also delivered by the Counsellors of the Rangatahi AOD Service. It is a group programme that looks at the behaviours rangatahi use and the importance and meaning they attribute to their actions. This is then related to their AOD use. It covers; Early Warning Signs; Triggers; options to violence; assertiveness; self-talk; negotiation and sexual health issues.
Both these are free services for rangatahi. Contact:
Neville Heihei (021 2890194) and Margaret Smith (027 366 3005)
- Project Tuakana a youth programme targeting young Maori males between 10-17 years of age who have been identified as requiring additional support with life skills to reach their full potential.
602 - 606 Main Street
Phone: (06) 354-0670
Fax: (06) 355-7201
We are committed to supporting wellness for Tangata Whaiora.